Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pattern Review: Hazel Hipster E-Course from Two Peas in a Pod

I'll let you all in on a little secret - sewing a bag together is by far my favorite type of sewing! Promise me you won't tell the other items in my shop :) And, what's not to like? For me, its all about instant gratification, and bags can give it to you in spades. They go together quickly, you can make it totally personalized with fabric choice, zipper or no zipper, long or short straps, you get the idea.

So, when Trish Preston from Two Peas in a Pod put out a call on Twitter for pattern testers for her Hazel Hipster E-Course, I jumped at the chance!




And I'm SO glad I did! Isn't it the cutest bag ever?! I used one of the most popular color combinations in my shop right now, yellow and grey, and I just LOVE how it turned out. For inquiring minds, the yellow fabric is Amy Butler Lark and the grey polka dot is Michael Miller Ta Dot in Stone.


Hazel Hipster Bag By Two Peas in a Pod

This bag pattern was absolutely perfect, as it met all of my criteria when choosing a pattern: 1) Its cute - hello ruffle on the front!, 2) it sews together quickly, and 3) the instructions were very clear and it made sense from step to step (which is so hard to find in my experience!). And, I love that I was able to make it mine - as I used yellow satin ribbon I had on hand and I added a ruffle flower for a bit of extra, as to me, I thought it needed a little something on the top.




Since the first bag I ever made, I have been designing my own bags and patterns since. But let me tell you, it was REALLY nice to sit back and listen to Trish and just sew without thinking for an afternoon. Yup, the entire bag from fabric selection, cutting, fusing and finishing was done in a single afternoon - 3 hours total. So, if you are looking for a quick gift and have little time, this is your pattern! And, the E-Course videos (available on a password protected website) really added something that typical paper patterns don't - insight from the designer. Throughout the videos, Trish is offering helpful tips, tricks and ways for you to make the bag your own. Plus, she actually sews a bag from start to finish in real time, so she really does show you every step.  And, although I've never met Trish besides a few emails exchanged, after watching the videos it felt like I had spent the afternoon sewing with a friend.

This is also a great beginner friendly bag, so if you haven't taken the plunge into bag making yet, this is a great first start! Along with being able to pause the video and replay, instructions for cutting and yardage needed is all written out, so you can refer back to it when you are cutting and prepping your fabrics.



I usually don't include photos of myself, but I really wanted to show how cute it looks on, and I just love the cross-shoulder strap. I'll be gifting this bag to my niece Alexis, as I owe her an 8th grade graduation gift, and I think she'll just love it! And, because they go together so quickly, I might make up a few Christmas gifts for my Aunts :)

If you want to get started on your own Hazel Hipster, you can purchase your registration online for $20 here.

But wait, there is a GIVEAWAY!

Trish has graciously offered a free course registration to a lucky reader!! So, leave a comment below and tell me how you would personalize the bag to make it your own. 

Giveaway will end on Thursday, September 6. Please be sure you leave an email or login with your blog so I can contact you!


3 comments:

  1. Would love to win a spot in her class. Love her patterns. Your bag looks great, love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bag, I have the hardest time picking out fabric. Seems like I always go with black but I am trying to venture out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ruffle! I would probably add a grouping of rolled flowers!

    ReplyDelete